Home improvements are vital to a home’s value. Some home improvements need to be done at the drop of a hat, like in emergency situations, other home improvements require careful planning and saving in order to fund. Fortunately, there are some simple and affordable ways that you can upgrade your home that will make a big, lasting impact. Keep reading to learn about some small home improvements that will make a big difference.
- Change the light bulbs. Chances are, it’s probably time to toss out your old lights and replace them with new ones. This is a great opportunity to switch over to energy-efficient lighting. While traditional incandescent bulbs emit a lot of energy resulting in high electric bills, energy-efficient lights such as halogen incandescent, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and light emitting diodes (LEDs) produce much less energy which results in money savings for you in the long-run.
- Freshen up your paint. Rooms should be repainted every few years, whether it’s to repair minor damages or simply to refresh the look of a space. Whether you decide on starting with just a single room or your whole house – painting is a rather inexpensive and easy home improvement project to tackle. If you recruit some friends and family to take on the job, all you will need to pay for is paint supplies. Once you are finished, you will be amazed by what a huge difference some new color can make.
- Re-caulk the bathroom. Mildew-stained grout happens even to the cleanest of showers and it can leave your bathroom looking really unappealing. Re-caulking your bathroom is actually a fairly fast and easy project that can leave your bathroom looking brand new. If you’re unfamiliar with the caulking process, you can search online or ask for advice at a home improvement store. The entire project can take a weekend to complete, but you will be impressed with how clean and modern your bathroom turns out.
- Replace your kitchen hardware. While new cabinets can be extremely costly, knobs and pulls are inexpensive and can be purchased at any local home improvement store. The installation guide should be included with the hardware, so as long as you have the proper tools and materials the whole process will be a breeze. A simple swap of drawer handles and door knobs can revitalize your kitchen in an instant.
- Tend to your floors. The flooring in your house can easily become caked with dirt or grime, making your home appear older than it is. If you have carpeting laid down, run a deep steam cleaner to give the rugs a radiant finish. If you have hardwood flooring, give it a deep clean with hardwood cleaner and finish it off by waxing or buffing it – whichever works best for your floor type. The floor is one of the first things you notice when entering a house, so a clean base can make a world of difference.
Many people don’t know that renovations and improvements can be quick and affordable projects that leave a strong impact. Follow these home improvement tips to leave your house looking brand new without spending too much time or money!